ChatGPT Prompts for Students and Teachers
ChatGPT can be a useful learning and teaching assistant. Students can use it to understand difficult topics, practice skills, organize study time, and improve their writing. Teachers can use it to create lesson ideas, activities, quizzes, and classroom materials.
The key is to use ChatGPT to support learning—not simply replace it.
1. Explain a Difficult Topic
Explain [topic] to me like I'm a complete beginner. Use simple language and three real-world examples.
2. Create a Study Plan
I have an exam on [subject] in [number] days. I can study [hours] per day. Create a realistic study plan with revision and practice.
3. Make Flashcards
Turn these notes into 20 question-and-answer flashcards. Focus on the most important concepts: [notes].
4. Create a Quiz
Quiz me on [topic] with 10 questions, one at a time. Don't show the answer until I respond, then explain my mistake if I'm wrong.
5. Get Step-by-Step Help
Help me solve this problem step by step. Don't give me the final answer immediately. Explain the method so I can solve similar problems myself: [problem].
6. Simplify Your Notes
Rewrite these notes in simple language while keeping all important facts, terms, and examples: [notes].
7. Summarize a Chapter
Summarize this chapter into key concepts, important terms, examples, and five questions I should be able to answer after studying it: [text].
8. Practice a Language
Act as my [language] conversation partner. I'm a beginner. Ask me simple questions, correct my mistakes, and explain corrections briefly.
9. Improve an Essay
Review my essay for clarity, organization, grammar, and argument strength. Identify areas I should improve without rewriting the entire essay for me: [essay].
10. Brainstorm Essay Ideas
Give me five possible arguments for an essay about [topic]. For each one, provide supporting points and possible counterarguments.
11. Prepare for an Exam
Create a practice exam about [subject]. Include multiple-choice, short-answer, and application questions. Provide the answer key separately.
12. Learn From Mistakes
I got this question wrong. Explain why my answer was incorrect and show me how to recognize the correct approach next time: [question + answer].
Prompts for Teachers
13. Create a Lesson Plan
Create a 45-minute lesson plan for teaching [topic] to [grade/level] students. Include learning objectives, an introduction, activities, assessment, and homework.
14. Create Classroom Activities
Give me five engaging classroom activities for teaching [topic] to [age group]. Include required materials and estimated time.
15. Create a Quiz
Create a 15-question quiz about [topic] for [grade level]. Include multiple-choice and short-answer questions, followed by an answer key.
16. Differentiate a Lesson
Adapt this lesson for three levels: beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Keep the same learning objective but adjust the difficulty: [lesson].
17. Create Discussion Questions
Create 10 open-ended discussion questions about [topic]. Make them encourage students to explain, compare, analyze, and defend their ideas.
18. Create Homework
Create a practical homework assignment for [topic]. It should take approximately [time] and test understanding rather than memorization.
19. Generate Feedback
Create constructive feedback for a student who understands [strength] but needs improvement in [weakness]. Keep the tone encouraging and specific.
20. Create a Rubric
Create a simple grading rubric for a [project/essay/presentation]. Include criteria, four performance levels, and clear descriptions for each level.
21. Create a Presentation
Create a 10-slide presentation outline for teaching [topic] to [grade level]. Include key points, examples, and a short activity.
22. Create a Worksheet
Create a printable worksheet about [topic] for [grade level]. Include instructions, 10 questions, and an answer key.
Bonus: The All-Purpose Education Prompt
Role: Act as a patient and supportive [teacher/tutor].
Topic: [subject]
Level: [beginner/grade/university level]
Goal: [what I want to learn]
Task: [what ChatGPT should do]
Format: [quiz/lesson/summary/steps/etc.]
Difficulty: [level]
Requirements: [specific requirements]
Example
Act as a patient science tutor. I'm a beginner learning biology. Explain photosynthesis using simple language, a real-world analogy, and a diagram description. Then give me five questions to test my understanding.
Important Tip for Students
Don't use ChatGPT simply to obtain answers to assignments. Ask it to explain concepts, provide hints, quiz you, critique your work, and help you understand mistakes. This makes it a much more useful learning tool.
Teachers should also review AI-generated materials for accuracy, age appropriateness, bias, and alignment with their curriculum.
Final Takeaway
Whether you're a student or teacher, ChatGPT works best as a learning partner and teaching assistant.
Use it to explain, practice, question, organize, create, and review—while keeping your own thinking and judgment at the center of the learning process.